The search functionality that’s built in to WordPress isn’t good. More specifically the inability to search between all categories, tags, or even a specific category and/or tag.
Similarly all posts are displayed on default by date, newest to oldest. This is a huge gap in UX, what about users who may be looking for popular articles with the most views or comments?
Search Unleashed is a popular search plugin, but it hasn’t been updated since 2010. Relevanssi is in active development and does what Search Unleashed does
With WordPress Search
- WordPress search results are listed chronologically. It sorts the results by date, newest first(not by relevance)
- Further the search result can not be filter or sort.
- Search only deal with post title and content( Not in tags, categories and custom fields)
In search result page
Search doesn’t support Filtering.
Search Unleashed is a popular search plugin, but it hasn’t been updated since 2010.
Relevanssi is in active development and does what Search Unleashed does.
With Relevanssi plugin
- Search results sorted in the order of relevance, not by date.
- Log queries, show most popular queries and recent queries
- Search terms highlighted.
- Search tags, categories and custom fields, custom post types and custom taxonomies.
- Google-style “Did you mean?” suggestions based on successful user searches
- Advanced filtering by taxonomy,date and sort by Relevance, Latest, Most Popular
- Use stop words to make search better
Once content updated, we need to build the index( indexing are manual not automated)
How Relevanssi works
Additional 4 tables are not a issue.
Sarch terms and content are indexed (like sphinx, but the terms are stored in a database
table). So search query only deals with one table.
“Did you mean?” suggestion only work, if we enable your logs in settings page
‘Successful user searches’ logs are the Suggestions. For correct suggestion we need lot of
‘successful user searches’