The biggest reason to use Silverlight is that it integrates the XAML declarative language with the .NET framework.
Another reason Silverlight appeals to both designers and developers is that Microsoft offers powerful tools that make it easy to implement Silverlight applications.
Microsoft’s Expression Suite providesuseful tools to implement Silverlight UI and encode media.
Microsoft’s Visual Studio provides a dynamic development interface with tools that speed up and increase productivity.
Some other reasons to use Silverlight are listed here:
- It is a cross-browser, cross-platform technology, which provides a consistent user experience everywhere it runs.
- The Silverlight plug-in installs in seconds and leaves a very small footprint.
- After you install the plug-in, users no longer need to install anything on their workstations to run Silverlight applications.
- It runs a client-side application that can read data and update the UI without interrupting the user by refreshing the whole page.
- It can run asynchronous communications with the server allowing the UI to continue to function while waiting for the server response.
- It delivers rich video, audio, and graphics.